My wife received and forwarded me a chain email last week detailing how to make this insanely realistic Halloween cake.
Just take a peek at the pictures below for our take on it, and you’ll see what I mean… Click on the pict’ for a larger view.
- 1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 package white sandwich cookies
- 1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
- A few drops green food coloring
- 12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent
Serving dishes and utensils
- 1 NEW cat-litter box
- 1 NEW cat-litter box liner
- 1 NEW pooper scooper
From the email:
1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.
2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.
3) Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shapethe blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.
4) Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!
We’ve modified the recipe slightly with our own ingredients, but that sure is going to make one big surprise at the Halloween party tonight! I wonder how people with cat allergies will react?!? ;)
Update: It was heavy, as expected, but very good.