Since this has lead me to tweak my .vimrc file, I figured I’d post its current incarnation for posterity.
Here’s what it means:
- tabs config: I like my tabs to be real tabs, but show as 4 columns/spaces wide, not 8
- nowrap: most of my edits involve code and I don’t like soft text wrapping in that context. I just use
set wrapwhen I need it instead
- ruler: displays the current cursor’s position (line/col) at the bottom right, which means I don’t need line numbers displayed and save some screen real-estate
- syntax: I like pretty colors when editing code :)
- filetype indent: cursor remains at the same tab stop when editing indented code and going to a new line.
Those are the only configs I’ve found myself needing at the moment, but they made a huge difference in my daily productivity. Maybe they will for you too.