Browsing through Leonardo Energy, I found a post pointing to a very interesting webcast on a European standard geared toward ultra-low energy building, referred to as passive houses.
The term passive house refers to a specific construction standard for residential buildings with good comfort conditions during winter and summer, without traditional heating systems and without active cooling. Typically this includes very good insulation levels, very good airtightness of the building, whilst a good indoor air quality is guaranteed by a mechanical ventilation system with highly efficient heat recovery.
- Passive House Presentation: 11 minutes webcast (Flash)
- Promotion for European Passive Houses
- Passive House Solutions: 5MB PDF, technical analysis and specifications
- Passive-On Project
- Wikipedia: Passive House
- Promoting the Building of Tomorrow
- Office of Energy Efficiency (Natural Resources Canada)
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (U.S. D.o.E)